The Episcopal Chapel, Sandgate..

SANDGATE VIEW..

A fine example.

£350.00

Publisher

Published by the Misses Purday, Sandgate. Lithographed by J. Newman, 48, Watling Street, London. No date but,

Date

c.1845.

Item Description

Hand-coloured lithograph mounted in conservation materials suitable for framing, overall size 17.5 x 15 inches approx. Printed surface within inner margin, 14 x 11 inches. It depicts the chapel viewed from the northwest with sheep grazing in the foreground and a horse-drawn carriage ascending Military Road on the right, with the High Street and sea visible beyond; in the background is Martello Tower no. 4 at the end of the Leas.

Notes

Rare lithographic view of the Episcopal Chapel at Sandgate, built in the Palladian style, with cupola on top. The Earl of Darnley built the 'Episcopal Chapel' on a plot of land from his adjoining estate and it was consecrated on 8 May 1822. Sandgate was developing rapidly at that time and a larger church was required. The earlier building was demolished in 1848 and a new, more commodious church, St. Paul's, was completed the following year. Thomas Purday was established as a bookseller and owner of the circulating library at Sandgate as early as 1816. He published a Sandgate, Folkestone and Hythe Guide in the 1840s and passed his business on to his daughters, Sarah and Mary Ann, who reissued the guide wth their own imprint about 1846. It is possible that the view of the Chapel was issued as a consequence of its impending demolition and replacement.

[Stock No. 20164]

Subjects

Search by typing:

Or Choose a Category: